Friday, April 16, 2010

A Review of THE KID starring Charlie Chaplin

I found THE KID to be mildly amusing. I really enjoy silent films because it prevents annoying questions such as "What did he say?" from occurring. So, as a side note, next time you and that friend that asks a billion questions (yes, we all have a friend like that) watch a movie, just throw in a silent film and let the silence begin.
Anyways, back to THE KID, this 1921 film was pretty good as far as 1921 films go. In this hectic world we live in, it is rare that you don't have to listen to someone nagging the frick out of you or talking about that cute FedEx guy, blah blah blah, right? So watching a nice simple movie where the only sound is suspenseful music was a nice escape. The best parts are, of course, the scenes where someone trips or gets beaten by a woman with a parasol, because their carefully practiced facial expressions are priceless. I also enjoyed the fact that they stuffed a flat pillow down a guy's shirt to fill him out to make him look more built.
I don't have much criticism for this movie. Having been born MANY years after silent films went out of style, I am not familiar with the criteria that a silent movie should meet. Therefore I am an unfit judge. So I will just talk about things I liked about it.
I really liked that everyone wore makeup. I think that if silent films were alive and thriving today, Maybelline and CoverGirl would make a heck of a lot of coin on their Blackest Black eyeliners.
Oh wait, there is one thing that I am confused about. Near the end, there is a dream scene that is pretty random. Whatever, not my place to judge it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment